Paltaniemi church of paintings
The old church for Paltamo congregation, the Paltaniemi Church of Paintings, was built in 1726. Another church in Paltamo was damaged in an earthquake in 1626 and a third one destroyed in the Great Northern War as the Russians robbed and burned it in 1716. A Kalevala memorial stone lies on the steps of the Paltaniemi Church of Paintings, symbolising the connection between Kainuu and Karelia. The wooden Paltaniemi Church of Paintigns is decorated by paintings in the ceiling and the walls. The bell tower by the church dates back to 1769.
More information on the history of the Paltaniemi Church of Paintings: www.paltamonseurakunta.fi/kirkot-ja-tilat/paltaniemen-kirkko